Windows 10 Mobile: All known changes and new features
Windows 10 for phones (as Technical Preview) coming soon
Microsoft briefly announced some of the novelties in the mobile version of Windows 10 at a press conference in January, but the past few days gave us a lot more information with a handful of screenshots leaking from Chinese sources. This pre-release version of W10 includes many small tweaks and UI changes along with functionality improvements and first universal apps. Here is the full list with changes:
- Start Screen: It looks like the old one, but now you can use optional vertical and larger tiles in addition to those currently available in Windows Phone 8.1. Translucent Tiles and Full Background have been added so you can select a full background behind the tiles.
- Action Center: Three rows of quick buttons instead of two and an option to expand / collapse
- Settings: This page has been rebuilt, and now has a logical organization in categories and a compact look. The settings page matches completely that found in Windows 10 for PC.
- Keyboard: A Virtual joystick helps to move the cursor around the text. Voice input has been added in the Keyboard too.
- File Manager: reworked manager with a vertical navigation
- Phone Dialer: lines between the numbers have been removed
- Cortana: PC and phone assistant now look identical
- New Universal apps: Office, Outlook, Calculator, Maps, Xbox Video, Alarm, A separate recording app, Photos
- Upcoming features: build-in Skype, new Messaging Hub, Music locker on OneDrive, and more.
Above are just some of the features expected to come with the first and next builds of Windows 10 for Phones. Microsoft can make the Technical Preview available for download at any moment from on. Stay tuned for latest Windows 10 news.