Setting Up Parental Control on Windows 10: How To Do It
Keeping kids safe on the internet is the priority of any parent. Young users can be prone to online bullying. They can also access age-inappropriate content, such as those with themes related to pornography, drugs, or violence, among other things.
It is impossible for every parent to be next to their little ones when they are accessing the internet. With this, it is important to be proactive in promoting online safety. Among others, one of the best solutions is to use parental control software, such as Qustodio. It provides notifications about online activities and filters online contents, among others.
Interested in using parental control software? Keep on reading and we’ll let you know how you can do it if you are a Windows 10 user. We’ll talk not only about the use of software for filtering and blocking inappropriate content but also other measures to promote a safe online experience.
How to Install Parental Control Software on Windows 10
When it comes to parental controls on Windows 10, there is perhaps no other option that is as effective as using software. However, this will still depend on your software of choice. One can be better than the other, so you should never decide in haste.
The steps for the installation of parental control software will vary from one provider to the other. To make things easier, we’ll focus on Qustodio. Here’s how you can install it on Windows 10.
- Before you start downloading, see to it that your computer’s operating system is using the latest available version. An internet connection is also necessary. To be protected from online threats, you should also have an anti-virus or firewall protection.
- Now, go to the website of the software you wish to install. Look for the download button. Click the button and the download will automatically start.
- After it has been downloaded, click on the installer. Click Install and the installation will start. It may take a few minutes depending on the size of the file.
- Once the program has been installed, you will be asked to create an account, accept the terms and conditions, and you can now configure the computer using the parental control software.
Other Ways to Set Parental Control on Windows 10
For those who are not interested in using parental control software, it is a good thing that Windows 10 comes with a built-in feature that can also provide parents with peace of mind. However, before we discuss the steps that are involved, take note that it has limitations. For instance, the built-in feature is valid only in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. If kids are using Chrome, the program won’t work.
- First, make sure that you have a valid Microsoft account. Once you have an account, open Windows Settings. From the menu, click Accounts.
- From the menu, scroll and click Family & Other People.
- Next, click Add a Family Member, then Add a Child. There is also an option for Add an Adult. By doing this, you will be creating a separate account for the kids.
- Now, sign-in to their account if they already have one. Otherwise, create a separate account for kids.
After adding an account, you can now customize the settings and control what children can access.
- Go to Windows Settings, Accounts, Family & Other People, and choose Manage family settings online.
- From here, you can turn on Activity Reporting. This will automatically generate a weekly report so that you will be in the know of your child’s online activities.
- Next, you can configure the parental control settings depending on preferences. You can control web browsing, apps, games & media, screen time, and in-app purchases. Under the Website Browsing tab, you will see that there is an option to block inappropriate websites. There is also an option to manually input the URLs of the websites that you would like to block.
- There are also time-based restrictions that you can customize on Windows 10. Turn on the radio button for setting time limits and enter the specifics. You can set the day and time at which they can use the device. To add, you can also set the desired daily limit for every device.
- Under the Purchase & Spending tab, on the other hand, it is possible to restrict the purchases that can be made by the users. Here, you will also have the option to add money on a specific account.
Beyond the built-in features of Windows 10, you can also work with your internet service provider. Get in touch and ask them about your options when it comes to limiting the websites that can be accessed from the router.
Encourage a Safer Browsing Experience
At the end of the day, the parental controls mentioned above will not be enough. It is important to supervise children when they are using Windows 10 devices or any other gadget. If you are there, you can explain better everything they see online. You can easily monitor what they see and what they do not see.
It is also best to keep computers and devices in a single location at home, especially in a place that can be easily seen by parents. This way, it will be easier to keep an eye when they are on the internet.
It is also important to be open with the kids. Let them know the dangers of the internet. If they know these things, it will be easier to convince them to be more cautious whenever they are browsing.
If you have Windows-10 powered devices, take note of the suggestions above to provide a safer online experience. These parental control measures will be effective in filtering whatever kids see when they are online. Even without being next to the little ones all the time, by doing the steps mentioned above, you can be confident that children will not be able to access age-inappropriate contents.