Major Skype update available for Beta testers
Skype for Windows 10 has received a big update
Skype users who joined the app Preview program on Windows 10 PC can now try the latest update for Skype that brings many new features and tweaks. The update introduces an improved layout, the ability to take snapshots during video calls, and more. Sadly, this update is not coming to legacy Windows 10 Phones, as Microsoft stopped the active development of the platform and its apps, presumably focusing on Windows OneCore OS and Andromeda. However, here are the new features for Windows 10:
Best in class calling experience – We’ve added several new calling features to make Skype’s calling experience even better than before:
- Flexible group call canvas – Customize your group call experience and decide who appears in the main call canvas. Simply drag and drop people between call canvas and the overflow ribbon to select who you want to focus on.
- Take snapshots – Use snapshots to capture images of important moments within a call. Snapshots makes sure you never forget important memories like your grandkid’s funny antics or crucial information like the content that’s been screenshared during a meeting.
- Easily start screensharing – We’ve made sharing your screen during calls even easier. Look for the ability to share your screen with the top level call controls.
- New layout – Based on your feedback, we’ve made your contacts easier to access and view.
- Customizable themes – Choose a color and theme for your Skype client through or application settings.
- And much more – Improvements to our media gallery, notifications panel, and @mentions experience and more!
You can join the Skype Beta program by heading to Settings → Join Preview.