Windows 10 Mobile: restrictions for 512MB phones
Microsoft reveals details about 512MB phones running Windows 10
Microsoft is planning to upgrade all current smartphones to Windows 10 Mobile, but some of the old low-end models, which have 512MB of RAM, like the Lumia 520, 620 and others, won’t offer the best possible experience because of hardware limitations.
From a leaked document we could learn all known scenarios in which phones with less than 1GB of RAM would function once Windows 10 Mobile is installed on them. Overall, if you have one of these old models like Lumia 520, you could expect poor experiences in some areas like VoIP and multi-tasking. The good news is that phones with 512MB are no longer manufactured and even the bottom-end Lumia 430 includes 1GB.
Here are some of the possible issues:
- Location tracking app running in the background – the app may be deactivated if sufficient memory for the background task is no longer available
- HDR photos – lower quality is expected if capture 8MP photos and 5 frames. For better quality switch to 5MP and 3 frames.
- VoIP – risk of missing an incoming call if a high-memory app is in the foreground
- Third party apps – only 3% of all apps can cause problems installed on a 512MB phone
- Multitasking – Resuming screen may appear more often if many resource-consuming apps are running
- Browser – only two tabs of memory-intensive websites will be available. More blank screens while scrolling very quickly. Very large pages will be slower.