Windows 10 Mobile build 10549 available to download from Windows Phone 8.1
Microsoft released a new test build of Windows 10 for Phones
The company has released a new preview build of Windows 10 – version number 10549. This build is available only as a single update from Windows Phone 8.1, so if you are running Windows 10 build 10536 you need to downgrade using the Device Recovery Tool.
After you’ve downgraded you need to install the Windows Insider app, subscribe for the Fast Ring, reboot the phone, download and install the update.
Windows 10 Mobile 10549 includes some improvements and new features:
- The animation lag when switching apps is gone
- Improvements to Cortana: now available in Japan, Australia, Canada
- Messaging with integrated Skype
- Diverse emoji: support for Unicode’s diversity emoji’s.
- Lumia Camera now works on Nokia Lumia 1020, but you need to use the recovery tool to return to 8.1 to get the app back
Here are the important fixes:
- Windows Camera no longer crashes
- Touch keyboard fixes
- Pinch to zoom in Maps now works properly
- Apps saved on SD card no longer crashes
Here’s what’s broken:
- Some apps might be missing after the upgrade. The solution is to reset the phone
- After rebooting the phone, the notifications will appear after unlocking the device for the first time
- WhatsApp, Skype for Business and other apps might need to be reinstalled in order to make calls.