How to prepare your phone for Windows 10 Mobile
Tips before installing the Windows 10 Update
Microsoft will soon announce an Over the Air (OTA) update to Windows 10 Mobile for eligible Windows Phone 8.1 phones. If your model is in the list with smartphones that will receive the update, you’d better be prepared – make sure you meet the following requirements:
- Run a software version 8.10.1429 or higher
- Have at least 1.5 GB free memory. Delete large apps/games, remove documents, videos, photos, music from the device.
- Have at least 50% battery. You’d better charge the phone to 100% before the upgrade.
You must also:
- Go to Settings → Backup, and create a backup for settings, apps, messages.
- Connect the phone to a PC and copy all important files you want to keep.
- To check if the upgrade is available for your phone and install the upgrade, go to the Store, install the Upgrade Advisor app, run the app to see if the update is available, and then select Enable Windows 10 upgrade.
What to do after installing Windows 10 Mobile
- After a first install of Windows 10 Mobile build you’d better hard-reset the phone. Do it as soon as the OS loads – do not waste time in updating apps.
- After the hard-reset you can restore a backup (from Windows Phone 8.1), but for the best possible experience it’s better to start fresh with Windows 10 Mobile. Then you can change settings, install apps and arrange app Live Tiles according to your preferences.
- Update all apps in the Store. Be patient, wait until all apps are updated and then soft-reset (restart) the phone.