Over-the-cable Updater tool released for Windows phones
Microsoft has a new tool to get updates
Microsoft has not released new phones for almost two years saying that Windows 10 Mobile and hardware is no longer a focus, but the company announced that existing phones will keep receiving updates in the foreseeable future. We found in the Windows phone support page that Windows 10 Mobile will be supported by June 2019.
Microsoft has just released a new tool called ‘Over-the-cable (OTC) Updater‘ that aims to keep the supported phones up to date. Unlike the Windows Device Recover Tool (WDRT), that currently returns the phones to their original OS at the time of launch, the OTC Updater will download and install the latest official version available for the handset. OTC Updater will eliminate the need to download and install more than one update on your phone.
Install the program on your PC, plug the phone and open the OTC Updater.
- Device with PIN lock must be unlcoked before using the OTC Updater
- Device must be in Airplane mode before using the OTC Updater
- PC running a supported Windows client OS with latest service pack installed
- PC must have a minimum of .NET 4.0 installed
- PC must have Internet connectivity and be able to connect to WU